Recognizing the value of disparate voices, St. David’s offers students, parents, faculty members and the local community access to a wide variety of guest speakers. We invite leaders from the community and from across the country to speak to our students and parents about real life challenges to faith, virtue and knowledge and the rewards for choosing a virtuous life.
Our annual series helps ensure that our students have a well-rounded experience with direct access to some of the leading voices in our culture on major points of contemporary social debate. At St. David's we understand that we are, in fact, training tomorrow's cultural leaders. An enterprise of such importance requires that our students who are tomorrow's leaders have the opportunity to speak with, learn from, and engage the leaders of this generation. Our goal is to provide a framework that allows for students, parents and friends of St. David's to do all of this together as a learning community.
All events will take place at 7:00 p.m. on the dates listed below. Events will be held virtually and links will be provided within each description prior to the date. Speaker events are free and open to the public.
- September 20 | Supporting your student athlete during COVID-19
- October 25 | Taking the Lead in Higher Education: The Mission of UNC-CH
- October 29 | The Effect of Monetary Policy on the COVID-19 Recession
- November 15 | The place of the arts and the Humanities in a Democratic Culture
- January 10 | The Future of the Public University in North Carolina
- February 8 | Raising Worry-Free Kids
- March 12 | Simply Speaking
- TBA | The Conscience of the Nation--POSTPONED
Simply Speaking is an annual event produced and managed by student voluteers for our community. Guest speakers have presented on topics such as "Failure for Success" and "Making an Impact." Our 2020 presentations, featuring local entreprenuers Maggie Kane and Daniel Herrington, were held virtually, allowing the event to continue despite COVID-19 restrictions.